Want to get into shape? Want to fight global poverty? This summer and fall, Hydro UMC will be running with Team World Vision to provide clean water to people in Africa. We’re putting together a team for the Route 66 Marathon and Half Marathon in Tulsa, November 23.
Beginning the last week in June, we will train together weekly to get in shape for the race while raising money for clean drinking water. Non-runners and casual runners are especially encouraged to join! You can experience the accomplishment of finishing a half or full marathon, and allow God to change lives through the money you raise. Set aside all the reasons you shouldn’t run, and focus on all the reasons you should. Lack of access to safe drinking water is the #1 preventable cause of death on earth. Help us change that!
We’ll have a very short informational meeting after worship on June 1 in the church library. For more information, send us an email or talk to Pastor Brandon.
On Wednesday, we kicked off the Season of Lent with Ash Wednesday worship. This Sunday, March 9, we begin a new sermon series that takes us deep into the last 24 hours of Jesus earthly life, beginning with The Last Supper. In addition, one adult Sunday School classes will be studying the book on which the series is based, Adam Hamilton’s book 24 Hours that Changed the World, while others will study Hamilton’s Final Words from the Cross. Lent can be a powerful time of looking inside and re-centering your life in Christ. Don’t miss this opportunity to grow closer to God by diving into the 24 hours that changed everything.
Here is the schedule for the series:
March 9 – Matthew 26:26-30 – The Last Supper
March 16 – Matthew 26:31-56 – The Garden of Gethsemane
March 23 – Matthew 26:57-75 – Condemned by the Righteous
March 30 – Matthew 27:1-26 – Jesus, Barabbas, and Pilate
April 6 – Mattew 27:27-34 – The Torture and Humiliation of the King
April 13 – Matthew 27:35-55 – The Crucifixion
April 20 – Easter Sunday – Matthew 28:1-10 – Christ the Victor
This weekend marks our annual Faith Promise celebration. Faith Promise is a time when we celebrate the previous year’s mission work, look forward to where God is leading us in the coming year, and make a commitment to share our financial gifts for God’s mission work. Our theme this year is “Joining Jesus at the Margins,” and we are asking God to help us see and serve the people who are invisible or ignored in our community and in the world. Each year, we spend Saturday in an all day Prayer Vigil. Wherever you are, we invite you to take about 20 minutes to join us in prayer that God would inspire, guide and use you and our church to accomplish God’s mission in the world. Here is a guide to help you in your prayer time:
- Pray for the people of our church family that we would be open to where the Holy Spirit is leading us this weekend.
- Pray that God would light a fire in your heart for God’s mission, to make you passionate about serving those in need.
- Pray that God would open your eyes to see the hurting places in the community that you pass by every day. Ask to see the people on the margins of society who are normally invisible or ignored.
- Ask God to guide our church our church to the places in this community and in the world God is calling us to make a difference for Christ.
- Read Matthew 25:31-46. Ask God to show you who are “the least of these” in our community.
- Seek God’s guidance for how much you are being called to give to mission work this year.
- Seek God’s guidance for how you are being called to participate in hands-on mission work this year.
- Thank God for all that you have been blessed with – finances, family, gifts, talents, possessions, friends.
- Ask God to help you use your blessings to bless others.
- Ask God to guide you to the margins so that you can join in Jesus’ work there.
- Thank God for the privilege of being called to do God’s work in the world.
Vacation Bible School at Hydro UMC begins Monday, July 29 and runs each night from 5:30-8:30. First 30 families to sign up receive a free CD with the songs we’ll be singing! Sign up here: http://bit.ly/HydroVBS.
Have you ever wanted to deepen your relationship with God, but didn’t know where to start? Maybe you’ve decided you’re ready to move beyond the basics, or that you need a refresher course in what it means to follow Jesus. On July 7, we will begin a new Sunday Night Bible Study called A Disciple’s Path: Deepening Your Relationship with Christ and the Church. During this seven-week class, we’ll study what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ in the United Methodist tradition, and we’ll learn and experience the spiritual practices that help us persevere as disciples. This study will cover topics like the meaning of discipleship, grace, prayer, scripture meditation, discovering your gifts, and serving God’s people in the world. If you are ready to go deeper with Christ, join us July 7 at 6:30. To sign up send us an email or leave a comment.
This Sunday, March 3 we will begin “Invitation to the Old Testament,” a nine-week journey through the Old Testament from the Disciple Bible Study series. The study combines daily readings, group discussions, and video from biblical scholars and archaeological sites to help us get to know the Old Testament better so that we can better know and serve God. Disciple Bible Study is one of the best ways to really get to know the Scripture in a way that helps you to connect God’s Word with your daily life. Don’t miss this great opportunity! The study begins at 6:30 pm.
If you’d like to participate, let us know by calling (405-663-2516), emailing, or writing on our Facebook wall!
Join us for worship each Sunday morning at 10:45. Classes for all ages begin at 9:45. We are located at the corner of 6th and Arapaho in Hydro.